Friday, May 17, 2013

Back Home

Monday, April 7, 2008

Sorry I haven't updated in a few days, but it's always tough to get used to a new routine.  We got home Friday afternoon......finally.  We have a bunch of new medications, for many different times of the day.  We are also adjusting to giving Eliah his clotting factor in the mornings, five days a week.  And we are still trying to figure out how we will take Eliah's blood pressure at home.  The cheap monitors don't work on him, and the professional models are $3700 and hard to find.  So, we are just going by how he looks to determine his blood pressure.

He gave me a good scare yesterday.  I put him down in the crib to attend to Natalie, and he just laid there and stared.  He would not look at me, or toys, or respond to sound.  Then, after a couple of minutes, he just threw up, straight up in the air.  So I picked him up and held him over my shoulder.  He still just stared and was breathing very slowly.  I kept trying to take his blood pressure to make sure it wasn't too low, but it wouldn't take on that cheap machine.  By the time Kelley got home from Home Depot, Eliah was just falling asleep, and Kelley was able to get a blood pressure after many tries (it was a low/normal rate).  Eliah then slept for 3 hours and woke up perfectly normal.  What the heck?  Eliah also passed what looked like a couple Kidney stones yesterday, so we put them in zip-locks and Kelley is running them by the dr. this morning.

We have also been adjusting to our new baby formula.  We thought our hypo-allergenic formula was expensive.  It was costing us $28 every 4 days.  Now, they have switched us to Neocate, a super-duper hypo formula.  It costs $40 every 3 days.  Hopefully, insurance will cover it. 

On top of all that, Kelley was able to get some good progress done on the kitchen renovation.  He and his dad got a lot of the cabinets installed.  We were a little behind schedule because of our hospital stay, but life continues on. 

Thank you to everyone who thought about us during this rough time.  Although it doesn't seem like it, Eliah is making good strides to catch up.  Saturday was the first day that Eliah was able to prop himself in a sitting position, and stay there unassisted for more than a minute.  Up until then, he was never able to bear any weight on his arms.  Slow and steady wins the race.  We are proud of our little tortoise. 

Lots of love to all,
Ann, Kelley, Natalie & Eliah

No comments:

Post a Comment