Friday, May 17, 2013

Eliah Update

Tuesday, July 14, 2009


I have experienced a new feeling with regard to Eliah. Pride. In light of his recent progress, I feel that I can look back on his life and what 
he has overcome and I honestly feel proud to be Eliah's mother. I could not say that a few months ago. I love him with all my heart, but 
I was resentful for the major responsibility that was thrust upon me without my consent.

And just when I felt like I was at my breaking point, Eliah began falling asleep by himself, sleeping through the night, and entertaining himself for extended periods of time, leaving me to have long sought after freedom. In the past month, Eliah seems to have had a light in his eyes that is reflected in new movements and actions. He acts as if he is just now seeing a whole new world around him and wants to be a part of it. 

He is interested in people and toys, and tries desperately to move and communicate. Just this morning, Eliah was able to identify and touch the "blue square" on the toy pictured below. As well, Eliah was able to sit, propping himself up, for almost an entire minute. And he danced to some of his favorite songs by waving his arms and kicking his feet. 

These may seem like small tasks, but compared to just a couple months ago, they are major accomplishments for him. And what I love the most, Eliah is so proud of himself. The self-awareness that I see in him gives me hope for a long, but rewarding future of reaching milestones large and small. 

When I read older posts in this blog, I think about how I felt when we really didn't know if Eliah was going to make it or what our future would hold. Now, two years later, I am so thankful for having the opportunity to be a part of such a special life. Eliah is strong, brave and wonderful. I couldn't be more proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment