Friday, May 17, 2013

New Beginnings

Saturday, October 2, 2010
























As some of you know, and for the rest that do not, Kelley and I separated a few months ago.  We get along great, and we are both loving, understanding parents still.  We just agree that we will be better parents if we are apart.  There is no negativity between us, and since I have moved to an apartment, the children are feeling at ease in both homes.  Kelley and I each get much needed breaks from the children (and sleep), and the children benefit from our devoted attention to only them.

Since Eliah is getting too big for a crib, and we now need two beds, I had to come up with a way to keep him safe.  With the help of my friend Brenda, and Kelley, I took a twin bed on a platform, and turned it into an adult padded crib. (Picture above)  The first nap in it, Eliah slept for four hours.  He loves it, and he loves that he is a "big boy".

In addition to (me) finally getting some sleep after three years, I finally figured out Eliah's screaming. For months, Eliah would act like he's hungry, take 2-3 bites of food and scream for 20 minutes.  Sometimes he eats afterwards, sometimes he skips several meals.  I have been racking my brain trying to figure it out.  We thought it was a toothache, and took him to the dentist.  We thought it was a sensory issue, and we did brushing therapy and joint compressions before meals.  We just didn't know.  Then Friday we took a trip to the Neurologist, and when they weighed him, I realized he was down two pounds in the past few months.

So, with a clear head (and Google), I realized that even though Eliah was on Zantac (and has been since birth), it's never been adjusted.  The Hematologist suggested we wean him off last year, but Eliah screamed too much, so we just left it at the same amount. When I called the Pediatrician about it two days ago, he said that I was right and Eliah is showing all the symptoms of GERD (reflux disorder), and needed much more Zantac.

You would NOT believe the difference.  After a new dose, he ate more lunch than I did.  He has been eating breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, and he is eating healthy foods. He has never eaten so much...and he has never been so happy.  No more screaming, with exception of the normal toddler hissy fits. He plays by himself and explores, and the doctor said he will start sleeping better through the night too.  We had no idea.

The amount of stress on me has reduced ten fold.  Because Eliah is a different child, I feel like a different person.  And hopefully he can now focus on growing and developing.  No more pain for my little man.

It's a great new beginning for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment