Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Still Going.....

As you may have noticed, this is a new blog address and layout.  There have been many unfortunate things happening as of late, like my ex stealing the blog and deleting it, among MANY other things, but we are here.....still going.

I admit it, sometimes I need help.  I am a single mother of two children, with one requiring an enormous amount of time, energy, attention and health care.   I maintain my home, yard, bills, and everything else by myself.  I do not have family close by, and I am not good at maintaining friendships, because I don't have time or energy to devote properly.

I do have a couple nurses and a home health aide that come here to help with Eliah about 20 hours a week, and I adore them completely.  But the other times, I am alone with a ridiculous amount of responsibility that is literally life and death.  And I feel like I can no longer trust or count on the children's father (or his family) to provide appropriate care or resources for the children.  What was once a very civil relationship, and doing what is best for the kids, has turned into an all out war, with the children suffering both mentally, physically and financially.

Typically, I do not post extremely personal things online, but I feel like I need a little mental support from those that champion for Eliah and Natalie.  I will not post specifics, but I do ask that you all pray for the welfare of the kids, the wisdom of the court system, and the strength and patience to continue to fight this ongoing battle.  And pray that I have the strength to handle the kids all the time if it comes to that.

Natalie and Eliah have been doing well, when in my care, and we have even been on a few adventures in the past few weeks.  We went to my niece's wedding in NC, and the kids were able to see their cousins, aunts, uncles, and my dad & his wife.  That was the first time the kids had seen my family in three years.  Hopefully it won't be that long again.

Eliah also received his new wheelchair in the past few weeks.  He was so excited about it, he couldn't sleep the night before.  This will be his wheelchair for the next 5-7 years, so I'm really glad he loves it!

Molly, the dog, is still going strong too.  She tires easily, so she spends a great deal of time keeping track of Eliah's fish.  Natalie and Molly absolutely love each other, sometimes a little too much.  Occasionally I hear, "No Molly, don't hump me!"

The seizures with Eliah are still bad, but seem to coincide with growth spurts or his new molars coming in.  I've also had to increase his zantac, since screaming and skipping meals has become common again.   In the past week, he's been able to tell me that his stomach hurt one day and his teeth hurt the other with the use of "yes/no" speech buttons on the ipad (donated by wonderful people). That, in itself, is a GIANT step towards functional communication.

Eliah and Natalie are finishing up their school year, and we are looking forward to the summer.  We'll spend our days eating sno-cones, playing on the waterslide and playground, and maybe even go on another adventure or two.  We'll see.

The bottom line is, we are STILL going.
























4 comments:

  1. Yay! I love this new layout and this family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are keeping a chronicle of your topsy-turvy adventures and your vibrant family! Thank you for making time to write. Your stories are inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I found your new blog! I clicked on the link for the old blog and was shocked when it said deleted. Keep doing what you're doing. You are a great mom and Eliah looks GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire you so! I feel kinda stalkerish because I don't know you at all (I saw a link to your old blog a long time ago, long story) and I am rooting for you! I am definitely not under the intense kind of strain that you maneuver everyday, but I do relate to being a single mom under challenging circumstances (albeit nothing compared to yours). I have been feeling very bogged down and overwhelmed lately, and you inspire me to keep going! God bless you and your children! I pray for justice and peace to be restored where it has been lost, and for protection for you and your darling children!

    ReplyDelete