Saturday, May 25, 2013

Weekend Project for Eman


Make-A-Wish put a handicapped accessible playground in the back yard, but the only way to get Eliah to it was to go out the front door and around the house, weaving through bumpy tree roots.  He needed a way to get to it from the back of the house, but all I had were steps, with a broken railing and a huge hole at the bottom (I blame the dog).


So....today I built something for Eliah, a wheelchair ramp.  I had no clue how to begin.  I had no tools to speak of, with exception of a drill.  And I had no help.

Off I went on my mission to Lowe's last night.  Despite their shock that I would be doing this project myself, they were extremely helpful and figured out how much lumber I would need.  They cut the stuff that was all going to be the same size.  I even got a cheap circular saw.  I was ready.....




I started around 10am this morning in the back yard, with my neighbor eagerly standing watch, DYING to help me.  But I politely said that I wanted to see if I could do it all by myself.  It was a challenge I was ready to take on.

I laid the joists out and developed a plan as I went.


After a bunch of head scratching, sawing, bracing and drilling, it started to come together better than I had hoped.



Within a few hours, I had myself a great looking ramp....or boat dock....



One more trip to Lowe's to pick up the last couple boards (that was sooo close), and added side runners to prevent the wheelchair from going over the edge, and I had myself a very sturdy, but removable, wheelchair ramp!!  Go me!




1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Nothing can stop a woman on a mission :) Happy birthday to Eliah..

    ReplyDelete